If you’ve read my blog before you’ll already know that I am not a foundation girl. I don’t like heavy coverage and I don’t like the way it looks on my skin. My skin is dry, usually irritated and I find that foundation always cakes and gathers to those irritated areas. No matter how hard I prime or try, I just don’t think I have the skin for foundations and heavy bases. That being said, I’m 21 now so I have been determined to find a good foundation that I can make work for my skin on nights out + events. I go out once a week if that since I’m truly a homebody but a glittery eye will get me out of bed. I got this LA Girl long wear, illuminating foundation because it sounded similar to the NARS longwear radiant foundation I wanted… which ended up being a flash back flop. This foundation is only $8 and I totally see why beauty bloggers and gurus rave about it! Since I only wear foundation once a week if that, the $8 price tag is perfect for me and I love the foundation!
So for a night out routine I usually will do a full face which I never do!
1. Prime. I use a moisturizer to prime my face. I started using this Clinique hydroblur primer which blurs out pores and keeps you matte. I don’t like matte but I use this on my forehead which is more textured then I’d like and in my t-zone. To me, these areas are fine to be matte since the rest of my face will be dewy. This moisturizer really smooths out those areas and I love that. You can also use it touch up makeup by putting it over it and I like the smoothing it does for that too. It just leaves a velvety, smooth finish which looks like a more flawless face.
2. LA Girl Foundation. I like this foundation because it’s medium coverage and dewy! I love dewy, light makeup but when I want more coverage this is a great option. I do one pump and I usually mix this with cover FX drops or Mac strobe cream to sheer it out / make it more dewy. This foundation doesn’t flash back and the longest I’ve had to wear it for was 6 hours and it wore well. I apply it with a brush then go back to blend with a makeup sponge. It sets well with powder and I like how it wears with the rest of my makeup.
3. Concealer. If I’m wearing foundation I go VERY light on concealer. I don’t want my face to look like I have too much product. I usually only do my under eye area and around my nose. I’ll do blemishes too if I have them. For concealer I’ll do Tarte Shape tape or Makeup Revolution on blemishes and NARS soft matte under eyes.
4. Powder! I use the Laura Mercier translucent powder, its my favorite and my go-too. I bake quickly under my eyes then set my forehead and around my nose.
5. Next I’ll go in with bronzer. I love my Chanel Soleil de tan bronzer the best. Its cream and I love how it blends on skin. I just got my Tom Ford bronzer and I find that its sheer and doesn’t really show up that great on me so I’ll dust some over my Chanel bronzer to set it and it looks great.
6. Blush. Not a blush girl but this Sweet Pie Too Faced bronzer is a bronzer with a hint of pink and I like this flush on my cheek so I will use that there.
7. I fill in my brows with Glossier’s boy brow.
8. For eyes I always like to do a little extra something because its fun and I never do during the week! I’ve done lashes, a smokey eye, a cat eye or a glittery eye. I love a good smokey eye and I love some glitter. (The Stila magnificent metals a fave of mine.) Last time I did bronzer in the crease, the Colourpop Supershock shadow in Birthday Girl all over the lid for some gold glitter and bronze cat eye with my Nudestix rock n roll liner. It was super easy and I love how it looked! I always do mascara if I don’t have on falsies. I love this Essence Volume stylist mascara and I go HAM with it! I do like 4 layers and I do the top and bottom lashes.
9. For a lip I like something nude and long lasting. I rarely do a bold lip and I def won’t if I did an eye look. I find it very easy for me to look made up and I hate looking cakey. I usually stick to a nude colored stain or liquid lip since it’ll last long and if I’m going out I’m probably drinking and my lip will come off faster. I like my velvet Kylie Lip kit because its comfier than the matte but still long wearing. I haven’t found a stain that lasts super long yet.
10. Did you think I forgot highlighter?! NEVER. When I go out I want a blinding highlighter so I will set my face with a spray, usually Urban Decay if I need long wearing and then I will apply my highlighter on damp skin for a pop. Lately I love my ABH Amrezy highlighter.
And so, thats my night out makeup! It sounds like a lot just typing it out and while I like a more natural look it is so much fun to do a full face with glitter and color.
@Katiejanehughes and @violette_fr are my makeup inspos and what I strive for every time I do an eye look. They’re both amazing at doing a glitter eye while keeping the rest of their face super natural and not super made up like Instagram make up. Thats always my goal, sometimes I better at that sometimes not so much, hahah.